Meatless Monday's menu
Breakfast was honey-nut cheerios, currants, soy milk and a Danactive. Lunch was mom's potato salad and a peach. Afternoon snack was applesauce. And dinner was linguine with sauteed baby bellas, mom's basil-walnut pesto, and extra parmesan. Doesn't sound all that exciting the way I described it, and without photos you can't see how yummy it all was, but I assure you, it was delicious. Nothing like Mom's cooking!
Planning for the week
Now comes the rest of the week. Although I haven't vowed to be meatless the rest of the week, I have an amazing amount of fresh veggies I will need to use up. Suggestions are welcome! Here is my inventory:
- 3 large-ish beets, with greens attached
- 4 or 5 scallions
- about 1 lb of new potatoes
- 8 or 10 huge leaves of chard (I swear, they're 2 feet long!)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 medium red onion
- a decent-sized bunch of basil
- 1 1/2 pints of baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 or 4 pale green zucchinis (one very large, the rest fairly small)
Additionally, I have a package of tofu, some frozen trout, a dozen fresh eggs, and 2 hard-boiled eggs. I am thinking stir-fry for sure one night using some zucchini and mushrooms with the tofu, and probably fish another night, but beyond that, I don't know. More zucchini pancakes? Cold potato soup? Quiche?